Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 6th - Barons vs Mustangs

Today the Mustangs have 7 players - none in blue jeans - so we're borrowing a couple of players from the Barons who have agreed to let them bat for us as well as field. Very sporting of them and truely appreciated by all the Mustangs.

Two days ago I couldn't throw my fastball for a strike so today my biggest concern is fixing that. I've decided I'm probably striding a little too long so I'll try to consciously shorten my stride a little so that I stay more on top of the ball. That should keep it from sailing up and in so much. I work on this some warming up on the side and again on the mound before the game starts. It seems to be doing the trick.

I can't remember much of the details of this game but we lost - again. I felt very good despite having pitched 6 innings two days before. My slider was working particularly well. What I do remember is one inning in which I got the first 3 batters to hit what should have been routine ground balls directly at infielders but the grass was so thick that two ended up being infield hits. The 3rd was hit to the third baseman who threw a little off line to first. The first baseman made a sweep tag and the umpire called "Out on the tag!". The first base coach immediately complained that he missed the tag and the ump immediately changed his call. It seems to me that a coach complaining about a call isn't evidence that the call was wrong but that's what was ruled. Our first baseman said he got him - just barely - on the belt.

At the plate I had four at bats and got pitches I should have hit well in each one but popped them all up - 2 to the outfield and two to the infield. I need more bp. After facing that fireballer on Thursday today's pitchers seemed like a walk in the park.

After pitching 6 innings I notice I'm developing a blood blister on my middle finger. I get this sometimes from throwing a lot of sliders. The seams of the ball roll off the inside of the tip of my middle finger causing this. I figure I'd better let Max finish the game so the blister doesn't get any worse. I have to pitch again tomorrow against the Wheelmen in a Vintage game.

No comments:

Post a Comment